What's it all about?

Fast approaching 30 I've fallen in to teaching, a career though championed by many amongst my friends and family, I've tried desperately to avoid. Worse still I appear to have missed the heyday when students were keen and wages were plenty. Having left city-life behind to support my partner through a prolonged recovery from cancer, it's clear I've become isolated, not only from my old life, but from the future I hoped it would lead to...

There must be more to life than this..?


Friday, February 4, 2011

Non-Moan no.1 (Week 5)

I live my life by the Eighth and one thirds...
Firstly please accept my apologies for my sporadic posts of late. Work is very intense at the moment and I’ve been sleep deprived! I promise to get back on form this weekend though.
So I realised this week that I’d been waiting, since my return to work after the Xmas holidays, for the end of January... Payday, a fresh month, white rabbits, etc...

Then it occurred to me, exactly what percent of the year does each month account for?
 I didn’t do the math very accurately, I simply divided the year in to twelve, rather than specific amounts of days for each month. Each month loosely translates to 8.333% of the year.
I wonder how many of us live our lives by this? I stand in the staffroom counting down the days, weeks and months until the next holiday, wishing my life away. All that time that I write off between the counting and the actual holiday simply discarded, thrown away, mentally consumed.
I wonder if in my old age I’ll sit back and consider all of that wasted time regrettably and all that could have been done with it. To remedy this unnecessary waste I’ve decided to try and make the most of each day. I know, I know, that sounds terribly optimistic for me, but I thought it was worth a shot.
I wonder how many of you also wish your life away and live your life by the Eighth and one Thirds?

3 comments:

Sarah J P said...

Yes I am very guilty of the same thing. As soon as I plonk myself down at my desk on Monday I look longingly at my calendar hoping that if I stare at Friday intently enough the Earth's axis will spin a bit faster for me. Sadly my exercise has proved unsuccessful so far.
Until life gets more exciting and I stop hating the 9 to 5 grind I will wish for the powers of the girl in 'As the World Turns' - that girl had it made!

Anonymous said...

Currently doing sod all with my life means that I generally lack the kind of structured lifestyle that makes conventional dates and time somewhat redundant. As such, rather than the '8.3 [recurring]%' that you mentioned, I feel more like I am in an almost timeless state, where there is little difference between days, weeks or months and in which I simply wait for things to happen to me. It has its pros and cons; while it means I can complain when I don't get my usual 11 hours sleep and that it naturally caters to my lack of memory - living as I seem to in a kind of dream-like state - it does nevertheless, occasionally make it more difficult to arrange social events, since I rarely know what day/month/year it actually is :P

Drew Benn said...

haha! I love it ;)

You don't need to know what day/month/year it is, the earth should be revolving around you!

Post a Comment