What's it all about?

Fast approaching 30 I've fallen in to teaching, a career though championed by many amongst my friends and family, I've tried desperately to avoid. Worse still I appear to have missed the heyday when students were keen and wages were plenty. Having left city-life behind to support my partner through a prolonged recovery from cancer, it's clear I've become isolated, not only from my old life, but from the future I hoped it would lead to...

There must be more to life than this..?


Sunday, February 6, 2011

Non-Moan no.2 (Week 5)

The superior, Inferior hypothesis.
In my short life (Please remember I’m VERY young, still in my twenties ya’ know ?) I’ve worked in many different job roles. Varying from retail and bar work and waiting tables, to what might be considered more glamorous roles working on TV and Film sets, then through to teaching.
I’ve always tried to remember that whichever role I’ve been in has simply been a job. I haven’t provided the world with any great service, I’ve sold clothes, or made TV programmes. I wasn’t saving lives, digging wells or building orphanages, and that’s ok.
Recently though I seem to have encountered too many employees in local stores and shopping centres that seem to think serving me is beyond them.


Overly manicured women and men, who are only a shade or two away from being viable for employment as oompa loompas in Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory. Their eyebrows plucked to within an inch of their lives which allows them to perpetuate their frowns and glares. Their hair bleached so bright it burns your retinas as punishment for daring to gaze upon their holier than thou existence.
I believe that the customer is NOT always right, however I still believe that each customer, until they raise their voice, swear, or are simply unnecessarily rude, deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect., or at times their presence simply acknowledged.
Am I asking too much? Or are these living Barbies and Kens simply better than me?

2 comments:

The Frisky Virgin said...

You are definitely NOT asking too much. I loved your description of these people, by the way. It really is shocking how poorly some people treat others.

Drew Benn said...

hehe I know! and thank you, sometimes I think my expectations are too high :s

Post a Comment