What's it all about?

Fast approaching 30 I've fallen in to teaching, a career though championed by many amongst my friends and family, I've tried desperately to avoid. Worse still I appear to have missed the heyday when students were keen and wages were plenty. Having left city-life behind to support my partner through a prolonged recovery from cancer, it's clear I've become isolated, not only from my old life, but from the future I hoped it would lead to...

There must be more to life than this..?


Friday, January 7, 2011

Non-Moan no.3 (Week 1)

 People who have no sense of humour.


I was waiting to pay at the supermarket after work when I turn around to see the woman behind me has a small child actually in her trolley, I’m guessing the child is about 5. So being the friendly people loving person that I am, I spoke to the lady.


ME – ‘Is that on special offer? Because I never saw that on the shelf.”


The woman didn’t speak but she did smile. (Perhaps I should have stopped here?)


ME – ‘If I were you I’d check the sell by date, You don’t want to be getting home and start cooking and then find out that she’s gone off, because then you’ll just go hungry.’


The woman’s expression changed, I’m guessing I offended her as she looked reasonably appalled. I’m fairly sure at this point that she now thinks I’m some sort of cannibalistic paedophile (There’s a word I didn’t think would crop up on my blog) So I turned, paid for my shopping and left.


SOLUTIONS:
I suppose I could just not make small talk with strangers, but it’s the only interaction I have with the community which I generally try to avoid.  My partner calls me a people hater, so every now and then I like to contradict that. Can you think of a better way to handle such situations? It seems a shame to deprive the world of the wonder that is me... No..?

2 comments:

PeterParis said...

I think it it's a good idea to say a few nice words to people around you, but yes, I believe that it might have been wise to stop after your first kind comment, especially as there was no real attempt by the lady to continue the conversation! Better luck next time! Keep on trying! :-)

Drew Benn said...

hehe thanks Peter. I'm a nervous talker I think, when I don't get a response I ramble on, haha.

Post a Comment